Digging in...

Autumn is digging itself in, spreading its roots further. Amidst the muted colours, bright dahlias and roses still pop their heads out of the borders. Look at meeee! And a few more autumn leaves flutter slowly down...

Spent a long muddy Friday afternoon cleaning up near the water in Middle Garden. Dug up and divided an old Phormium, weeded, sliced out a rogue Gunnera (oops) and a coarse green Carex.

In Middle Garden, all cleaned up.
Phormium and Koru Statue

Muddy!

Kneeling in the mud was too uncomfortable, so I ended up sitting. My poor gardening shorts! You won't be able to tell from the photograph, but I carted out ten huge armfuls of mess.

Saturday 7th April

It's a good planting time, so today I decided to stay clean and dry and make a start in the Hump Garden extension. Green Phormium pieces and some potted up roses (Rosa Woodsii fendeley, Ferdinand Pichard, Marie de Blois, and Mrs Oakley) are planted near the new entrance path.

Poor Ferdinand...

Ferdinand had a very sorry start to his previous life in my garden, becoming quickly submerged in dahlia and miscanthus growth. 'Tolerant of poorer soils' he may be, but not, obviously of serious overcrowding. He should be happier in the open, sunny spaces of the Hump Garden extension - if I haven't killed him off, that is.

Am not allowed to buy in any new shrubs - I will make do with what I've got. That is, until the big rose sale becomes too tempting. Shush...