Plant shift...

Surely it's time for a big plant shift. A famous local gardener, Barbara Lea Taylor, called it 'The Waltz of the Wheelbarrow'. Mine might be more like a stately Sarabande. But certainly it involves the roses.

By the pergola.
Windemere Roses

It's time to get the legs stepping out, toes pointed, following up what the mind has so easily visualised. Ha! A list.

A David Austin rose.
Lady of Megginch Rose

Roses first...

Roses first. Golden Celebration, Sally Holmes, unknown pink. Dig out of shady garden by Herb Spiral. Plant straight away into sunny garden by woodshed. Simple!

Lady of Megginch (poor thing) and any other small rose still lurking in the Allotment Garden. Into pots with labels.

Just Joey, Mrs Oakley, Ferdinand Pichard and Marie de Blois - planted far too close to the front Miscanthus grass in the Hump Garden. Into pots. With labels!

Monday 4th March

Have just checked out potential new rose positions in the Hump Garden, according to the reach of the irrigation.

The perfect spot is smothered in self-sown grasses (Anemanthele) and Lamium (an invasive ground cover). It's very windy, but this shouldn't stop me. Right?

Where some of the shifted roses are going.
New Hump Garden Area

Later...

It's now late in the day, and my success in the garden can be measured by the number of times I've filled my wheelbarrow. Twice, very full and heavy. Not too bad. Even if that was only the Lamium - haven't dug out any Anemanthele yet. Can't decide which ones should go, so have left them all. Will decide another day.

In the Hump Garden.
Anemanthele Grasses

Anyway, I haven't dug out any of the roses to be shifted - not yet. That noisy fanfare, a detailed list, two large bags of potting mix ready and waiting. How difficult can it be to dig up a sad, runty little rose and pop it into a pot?

Dear Lady...

Next day. Ha! I dug up the Lady of Megginch from the dry Allotment Garden, which needs a complete overhaul (this usually means Agapanthus). Also rescued a single red (possibly Redcoat) and a clump of Bergenias.