Moosey News : February 2007
Eek! One whole month of 2007 has passed me by, and I've never done as little gardening in a summer month as I have this month. Whatever happened to those New Year's Resolutions? I'll have to rewrite them and start all over...
This month's features :
- The Moosey Garden Calendars
- Green Astelias - Beautiful in Garden or Bush
- A Clean Green New Zealand Journey
- Blushing Pink Iceberg
- New Year's Honours List 2007
- Plant of the Month : Clary Sage
- Animal of the Month : B-Puss
- Garden Quote : Self Seeders
- Garden Gallery : Rusty Dog
- Forum Focus : Gardening Books
- Gardening Advice : Planning in Advance
- Searching for Moosey : Sun and Colour
- Coming up this month : The extreme in Moosey Mother-and-Son silliness - an on-line plant questionnaire.
This month's features
When I should have been outside weeding or trimming the garden edges I have often been inside trying my hand at producing 2007 Moosey Calendars. I've had heaps of fun trying...
Anyone who has tried to grow an Astelia in a large blue pot - be very envious! I've grown this lovely spiky New Zealand plant for years and completely ignored it. Finally the Astelias in my own garden are getting the credit they deserve.
When a track through the clean green New Zealand bush just goes on, and on, and then on some more - what to talk about? See my latest Gardener's Journeys story.
I love the different coloured Iceberg roses. Here's a very subtle pink and white one, which I've just planted.
This is the second year that I've published a Moosey Honours List. And I suspect I'm giving the same awards to the same recipients! Plants, cats, the dog, and immediate relatives (not the rooster) are the only living things eligible.
6. Plant of the Month : Clary Sage
Clary sage is a brilliant large perennial for a large garden. Its impact is only slightly marred by its dreadful smell, which cat owners will possibly be familiar with...
7. Animal of the Month : B-Puss
B-Puss, my lovely, dorky white cat, just seems to pop out of the greenery whenever I have my camera clicking. There can be no suggestion of cat-favouritism...
8. Garden Quote : Self Seeders
In this January journal entry I finally make a breakthrough in my attitude to self seeding plants.
9. Garden Gallery : Rusty Dog
The picture of Rusty behind the gate has appeared before, in the garden gallery. I love it so much that I've given it a new page in the Hazelnut Orchard Tour section.
10. Forum Focus : Gardening Books
Thanks to Michael aka Muddywellies from Winsford Walled Garden for getting us all started on our favourite gardening books! Perhaps you'd like to join the discussion...
11. Gardening Advice : Planning in Advance
There's a truckload of gardening advice in my New Year's resolution package - have a look at the first journal entry for the year. My favourite is the following:
Plan in advance if you require 1000 pansy seedlings.
Pretty useful advice, don't you think? Hmm...
12. Searching for Moosey : Sun and Colour...
- New Zealand sun
- Someone else is obviously searching for summer like I am - well, searching for 'sun New Zealand'. I don't think anyone takes sensible photographs of the sun. But this picture of New Zealand sunshine on the Moosey water race looks nice.
- rose colours
- Every month there are a lot of colour searches, like this one - obviously from a beginner gardener : 'How many colours of roses are there?' Would it be cheeky to quote a song - How deep is the ocean? How high is the sky?
- Boring colours
- Then another, more down-to-earth search for 'boring colours'. I don't think I've got any, but you might like to peep through my rose photographs, and make a list...
13. Coming up this month : What Plant Am I?
Almost the silliest thing that the famous Moosey Mother-and-Son team have ever come up with. It's an on-line plant questionnaire, which tells you what plant you are. Go on - you might like to try it out!