Moosey News : June 2009
Much of what I've got to say this month involves reminiscing about my summer break in the North-eastern USA (and Canada). Funny how short trips can leave such huge memories! Mind you, a summer sojourn compared to the Moosey mid-winter month...
This month's features :
- Chanticleer - A Personal Garden
- Ontario Birdlife
- Tyler Arboretum
- Visiting Longwood
- Gee It's Good To be Back Home Again...
- Plant of the Month : Alliums
- Animal of the Month : Lilli-Puss
- Garden Quote : On Being a Better Gardener
- Garden Gallery : Tulips in a Real Rock Garden
- Forum Focus : Warm and Cold Seasons
- Gardening Advice : Don't Just Write About It...
- Searching for Moosey : adirondack garden seats
- Coming up this month : Lots of Superlatives
This month's features
To quote Non-Gardening Partner: 'You do dribble on a bit about Chanticleer`... I'm glad he visited this USA garden with me, so he understands why...
I met some really interesting birds in an Ontario perennials nursery garden...
Seen one arboretum, seen them all? Definitely not. Tyler Arboretum, near Philadelphia, had a special atmosphere, and I loved my visit.
Longwood - possibly not the type of garden that I'd linger long in, but well worth the afternoon. There's a great programme of festivals and special events, and lots to look at for the fountain-deprived.
The title says it all. But I'm back into the middle of winter, and my garden is so cold and bare. The most colourful things to photograph are the cats and the dog...
6. Plant of the Month : Alliums
Alliums have stolen my gardening heart. I hope they'll grow for me here in my garden, because I have big purchasing plans...
7. Animal of the Month : Lilli-Puss
Named the 'rooftop cat' for obvious reasons by the Moosey house sitter, Lilli-Puss has been the most welcoming of all the cats on my return from holiday. Each night she pushes her furry face next to mine and purrs - while I'm trying to sleep. Aargh! Love you, Lilli...
8. Garden Quote : On Being a Better Gardener
I always make this resolution on my return from an inspiring holiday. Please let me keep it!
I loved the contrast of chunky cuboid rocks and rows of perky tulips in the Royal Botanic Gardens Rock Garden, Hamilton, Ontario.
10. Forum Focus : Warm and Cold Seasons
This is what the Moosey forum is all about - letting those of us who are in winter experience the joys of spring and summer gardens - and, of course, vice versa.
11. Gardening Advice : Don't Just Write About It...
Some self-advice for garden bloggers.
12. Searching for Moosey : adirondack garden seats
- Ha! At the moment you could spend an afternoon searching in the Moosey Garden and not find any of these iconic American style wooden garden seats. But after Non-Gardening Partner has fulfilled his promises, you should find many pairs (plural). In the meantime, enjoy the pictures of adirondacks in the Chanticleer Garden, Pennsylvania.
13. Coming up this month : Lots of superlatives.
Like the shortest gardening day, the longest garden-planning night, maybe the coldest ground frost, and hopefully the purchase of the biggest garden pot...