Moosey News : June and July 2011
This newsletter covers two months, where winter gardening gets sharply contrasted with a short summer holiday in tropical Rarotonga. And then snow finishes off July rather nicely! Enjoy...
This month's features :
- July Rarotonga Holiday 1
- July Week 4 - Snow!
- Maire Nui Botanical Gardens
- Guy Savoy Rose
- Washpen Falls
- Plant of the Month : Golden Celebration Rose
- Animal of the Month : A Good Merino Mother
- Garden Quote : On my Garden's Infrastructure
- Garden Gallery : Torch Ginger
- Forum Focus : Plaits, Rarotongan Flycatchers, and other Things
- Gardening Advice : Oversized Shrubs
- Searching for Moosey : rude pictures
- Coming up this month : Pruning, trimming, burning, raking...
This month's features
Let's start this newsletter with one of the warmest weeks - the first days of my holiday on the island of Rarotonga.
Aha! From tropical sunshine to snow in the garden. Luckily for my plants (and my winter gardening plans) the snow didn't stay too long.
Join me and visit the tropical gardens at Maire Nui, on the coast of Rarotonga, Which coast? There's only one...
Guy Savoy ia a beautiful striped rose, named after a famous French chef.
This is an account of my latest wonderful, winter wilderness walk to a waterfall (apologies for the alliteration). I face my fears in the guise of the scariest wooden stairway in the whole world, hee hee...
6. Plant of the Month : Golden Celebration Rose
Golden Celebration is one of my roses still building buds and flowering well into winter - and it's such a beautifully warm shade of gold.
7. Animal of the Month : A Good Merino Mother
Oops. In autumn Charles the ram broke through a couple of sturdy fences. The result - a very early lamb. But this merino ewe is a spectacularly attentive mother.
8. Garden Quote : On my Garden's Infrastructure
It's quite impressive - my garden does have an infrastructure, but...
Here's a picture of one of the tropical flowers which fascinated me in Rarotonga, Torch Ginger.
10. Forum Focus : Plaits, Rarotongan Flycatchers, the Tour de France, and Other Things...
The Moosey Journal has been creating a bit of assorted interest in the forums lately. Phew!
11. Gardening Advice : Oversized Shrubs
Oversized shrubs in a garden border should never have been allowed to get that big in the first place, right?
12. Searching for Moosey : rude pictures
- rude pictures
- No, no, no! Not on my website! This search made me quickly look up the Official Moosey Rudeness Policy and check my garden photographs. One particular garden gnome (audaciously mooning underneath a Pittosporum) had to be covered up pretty quickly.
13. Coming up this month : Pruning, trimming, burning, raking...
OK, OK - quite enough gardening verbs for now! Enjoy your August, gardening as wisely as this month allows.