Moosey News : April 2010
All those clever quotes about things changing come to mind in autumn. Perhaps the loveliest changes of all lie in the garden's light and colour. Nothing too dull, nothing too bright - sounds almost perfect!
This month's features :
- Harrier Hawk
- Birthday Garden Seats
- Dog-Path Garden Perennials
- Autumn Roses
- Using Phormiums in the Garden
- Plant of the Month : Bishop Llandaff Dahlia
- Animals of the Month : The Moosey cats Minimus, Kaya, Percy, Histeria and Lilli-Puss
- Garden Quote : New Zealand evergreens
- Garden Gallery : Bengal Tiger Canna Flower
- Forum Focus : New Look Forum is Flourishing
- Gardening Advice : My Quantum Theory of Gardening
- Searching for Moosey : Seeds for perennials
- Coming up this month : A new garden shed - it's official!
This month's features
Australasian harrier hawks are a feature of the Canterbury Plains, soaring high above the paddocks. They're wild birds, but I've had the pleasure of meeting one close up in my garden.
This has become something of a yearly event - the buying of a garden-orientated birthday present for Daughter of Moosey. She thinks it's just an excuse to buy something new for the garden...
Perennials are scattered all over my garden borders. One small area in the Dog-Path Garden has two of my favourites - red Monarda and green Santolina.
4. Autumn Roses
Some of my roses which bloom magnificently in autumn are paid the compliment they deserve...
I've brought together existing photographs of New Zealand Phormiums (flaxes) growing in my garden borders. Enjoy!
6. Plant of the Month : Bishop Llandaff Dahlia
This classy red dahlia never disappoints, though its seedling offspring don't quite match the parent for foliage...
7. Animals of the Month : The Moosey cats Minimus, Kaya, Percy, Histeria and Lilli-Puss
All these new cat-contestants are getting votes in the Most Valuable Pet Competition. Little Minimus has received over 100 votes in six weeks. There are some truly wonderful pet people out there - thanks so much. Miaow!
8. Garden Quote : New Zealand evergreens
By late autumn my Canna lilies have decided they'd better get flowering, before the sun's warmth disappears totally. The results are stunning.
10. Forum Focus : New Look Forum is Flourishing
Ha! The clean, super refreshing new look for the Moosey forums continues, and new friends keep popping in to say hello. Maybe we'll see you there?
11. Gardening Advice : My Quantum Theory of Gardening
A flash of quasi-mathematical inspiration, again recorded in my journal...
12. Searching for Moosey : Seeds for perennials
- Seeds for perennials
- Hee hee - how about some Gunnera seeds? The Gunneras plants that grow in my garden must be the biggest perennials in the world. The seed-heads are 'dead odd' - though actually these are very much alive!
13. Coming up this month : A new garden shed - it's official!
The kitset arrives on the 20th May, and the supplier reckons it can be erected in three hours. Hmm - three weeks later... All the very best for your garden in May!.